Thursday, September 29, 2005

Bookner again

I'm always intrigued when I see something get an overly emotional reaction. The way the self-consciously literary react to Tolkien and Rowling's popular success for example. A lot of teddies have been thrown out of prams over that by people old enough to behave better.

Something similar seems to be happening around Bookner. I've had email asking me ask why I'm 'supporting' this unfeasible and dangerous idea and asking me to look at their self-styled 'anti-bookner' sites.

I'm not supporting the idea, I just said I thought it was interesting and linked to it. Make up your own mind. But I think it has to be either unfeasible or dangerous, surely it can't be both?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
jay said...

And then again, it might be neither. :-)

Elektra said...

It can be dangerous because it is unfeasible. What's more dangerous to a writer than losing scads of time waiting at Bookner for a pie-in-the-sky dream, when she should be out querying agents?

Elektra said...

antibookner.blogspot.com It's only one site, and the name was suggested by Mr. Gonzales of Bookner himself

Alison said...

I've heard that waiting for an agent to deliver the pie can take a bit of time too. Maybe there is no quick and easy way to fame, after all!

Bonnie S. Calhoun said...

Bookner started this with all of them, and their really showing him what unrequited hate can net you! You've heard of unrequited love, from the beginning he did not win friends or influence people, just made them mad. I've got a post on Bookner also. Do you know Torgo, from Honest Critique. He's an editor in the UK

Alison said...

As I said earlier, I'm always intrigued when something gets an overly emotional reaction. Fascinating, as Mr Spock would say.